17 June 2009

Father's Day Weekend- What to Watch For

Good sports weekend coming up.
I'm a soccer nut, so International tourney going on in South Africa, Confederations Cup. Somewhat meaningless in terms of prestige but entertaining stuff nonetheless. First off, it's in South Africa, a tune up for the World Cup which is a tantalizing 359 days away. Some intriguing competitive and political match ups on the slate. The home team, Bafana Bafana, playing in front of the home fans. Think soccer or sport in general has no impact on society, see Rugby World cup circa 1995, Nelson Mandela slapping on the Springbok Jersey..amazing stuff. Now the world's biggest sports event (sorry it's not the Super Bowl my American football friends or the Olympics my friends at Coca-Cola) is coming to South Africa 16 years after the end of apartheid, not to mention it's the first World Cup in Africa. Iraq is there too, though they look unlikely to advance to the second round right now after the scoreless draw with S.A. and a 1-0 loss today to Spain. I don't need to recount the myriad of problems going on in Iraq but when they won the Asian Cup last year against all odds, the Kalashnikovs were firing straight up into the air rather than at coalition soldiers or fellow countrymen for the first time in a long time. I don't want to casually overlook the Kiwis but hey you've been dominating in Rugby (love the Haka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eGCsEQ15L4) for I don't know how many years and your country (even though I never been there) looks amazingly beautiful, is super safe and has some pretty decent white wine. Pretty soon there going to start calling Switzerland the "New Zealand" of Europe. In the other group, Brazil (O jogo bonito) vs. Italia vs. USA vs Egypt. I love my countrymen. I love Landon, DeMarcus, Jozy, Bocanegra but man what a tough group. Brazil v. USA tomorrow morning 930am on ESPN the dos. Watch it. Watch it at work or watch it at home, watch it at the pub, do what you got to do but watch this game. Our boys always play the pentacampeao tough, not many results but we always get physical with the Brazilians and throw'em off their normal flowing, stylish, effortless game. After the 3-1 loss to the Italians on Monday, I expect the Yanks to really come out looking for goals so it should be a cracker of a game as they say across the pond.
ALSO
U.S. Open, Bethpage Black, oh baby. That's enough drama to get even the most casual of golf fans interested in this one but add to it the return of El Tigre to the tourney he won on one leg last year after 19 holes...on Monday. Then we've got big Philly, back in NY, finished second four times including that heart breaker at Winged Foot. Now Amy has Breast Cancer and you know everyone is pulling for our favorite everyman. If Phil is there on Sunday I'll be edge of my couch, living and dying with every tee ball, approach shot and putt like I was during that 30 on the front at Augusta, simply some of the sickest golf I've ever witnessed. Paddy there's too don't underestimate the Dubliner in majors and I'm predicting my fellow Gator Camilo might breakthrough in a big way. He's got the length for the Black and the mental makeup to handle the open setup and weekend pressure cooker. By the way Roethlisberger, an 81 on a US Open setup. Cool you're two-time Super Bowl winner, all-around badass QB and apparently a kick ass golfer as well. Way to make the rest of us normal dudes look like total pedestrians. Well done my son, well done. Just stay off the Kawasaki, alright.
And of course Happy Father's Day Pop, wish we could play 18 in the morning then watch the pros with a few brews in the afternoon. Love, Santino

2 comments:

  1. I've submitted your writing to Sports Illustrated, they'll be calling you Monday morning. Get your Folger's ready, unemployment is over... is what I would say if this world were as cool as you are.

    After a tight read, the color contrast is a bit dizzying. I think I'll be reading your post for the remainder of the day whether I'm looking at my screen or not. Perhaps that's your point. Nice stuff, nuff' said. Keep two-putting on your writing and I'll be back like smack. That may really mean I'll never leave...

    van gorp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you know the territory well. Is it me?? Does anyone give a shit about the Hall Of Fame? Another steroid user and the media goes off on Sosa's chances for the Hall. Who gives a shit?
    Rothisberger cannot go pro in golf. One round does not a career make. And what about Cabrera? Hello. He won two years ago, won the Masters. He speaks Spanish, therefore he is ignored by the biased press. And what about Sergio? Can you get an interview with him? Is he sniffing glue or pussy?

    ReplyDelete