09 July 2009

Musings on Cycling, ing

Le Tour de France
Is actually in Spain right now. Today's rainy finish was up on the Montjuic hill in Barcelona right next to the Olympic stadium from 1992. The Big Norwegian Thor Hushvod won in a sprint finish. Tomorrow's foray into the Pyrenees should have ramifications on the general classification. Two more really tough days in the mountains after that will further solidify the real contenders in this year's edition. I can't imagine what's going on in the Team Astana strategy sessions. Lance is in a virtual tie for yellow right now and has looked strong over the first few stages. Contador sitting third at the moment, was predetermined to be the favorite after winning two years ago and his class should show in the mountains. Andres Kloden is 4th, and Levi Lepiheimer sits in 5th. Did I mention they all race for the same team. Oh yeah I've got to link to something involving that crazy dude dressed like the devil who chases these riders all over the place so here. Hilarious.

Ronde Van Zuid Dadelaand
I've gone a little bike crazy myself recently. Been riding down in South Dade with a few friends. The busway that runs parallel to U.S. 1 from dadeland southwards has a nice wide, clean bike path. There's a part where we break off at about 200th street and turn right onto the Black Creek Trail which takes us up to Larry and Penny Thompson park just adjacent to the Metro Zoo. Ok it's not the French countryside or Holland but it's a nice ride, there's very little traffic and the canal and park sections are wonderfully serene given the urban grit and biker unfriendly confines of my own neighborhood. Round trip from Dadeland south, which Jordan and I did once, it was 33 miles.






There's El Gordo hauling along the Black Creek.

There are a ton of trails down there and we are planning a ride down to Card Sound road before we lose a member of the group to Washington, D.C. at the end of the month.

Upcoming Events

Marlins Stadium groundbreaking ceremony- Saturday, July 18, 10:00 AM
First 1,000 fans get a free ballpark style lunch which I can only assume means a hot dog, soda and nacho chips (with the real nasty cheese dip the consistency of motor oil)-normal retail price $18.95. I might actually go and I might actually get my hands on a decent digital camera so's I can post the pics here.

British Open- I'll give my readers (all four of you) an exclusive preview next week of the third golf major of the year from Turnberry, Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment